• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DUI in Ohio, Live in Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moronbf

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My boyfriend got a DUI in Ohio Saturday, we live in Michigan. The moron went to Cedar Point w/his buddy and decided it was a good idea to drink all day and drive home. I have a couple of questions if someone wouldn't mind answering.

First, stupid blew a .194!!! I know that is over twice the legal limit in Ohio. Does anyone know how this will affect his sentencing? Also, he had another DUI 10 years ago in Michigan, will that affect his sentencing? Lastly, will all penalities from Ohio automatically transfer to Michigan, or does he have to go through a different process here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state?

FlyingRon

The look back for Ohio DUI is only 6 years, so even if they did take the Michigan DUI into account it won't affect the case there. The HIGH BAC will increase the sanctions which can be: 6 days-6months jail and $1000 fine, 6 mos-3 years suspension in Ohio. Michigan is one of the few non-compact states, so I'm not sure what he'll face back home.

Not sure why someone would want to get drunk at a roller coaster park. I'd want to be completely sober so I could get the full effects of the rides. But, what's done is done. A
.194 is pretty tanked. The high BAC most likely will play a role in the outcome.

Most likely, the prosecution and court will figure out some way to include the 10 year old DUI in the settling of the case regardless of what the law says. Also, even though Michigan may not be a "compact" state, the court and the DMV will find a way to transfer everything over. Wait and see.

I'm not an attorney but my hunch is that he's going to have to at least complete the court proceedings and any jail time at the county klink in Michigan. Alchohol school and those penalties can probably be completed in Ohio.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I've been to Cedar Point..... nice clean place; great roller coasters. I guess they don't really enforce that sign they have posted wherever they sell beer about "only one beer will be sold per customer per day". I had a couple there myself, but we were staying at the on site hotel.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I've been to Cedar Point..... nice clean place; great roller coasters. I guess they don't really enforce that sign they have posted wherever they sell beer about "only one beer will be sold per customer per day". I had a couple there myself, but we were staying at the on site hotel.

Cedar POint only limits beer one days when there is an onslaught of underage kids -- think large amount of buses from schools or what not -- in the park. I know because I worked there two summers during college. Oh the fun and hell that was. But you can definitely buy more than one beer per day there on most days.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

The "rule" didn't seem very enforceable anyway. It only prevented you from ordering multiple pints in one location. You could just wander around and drink all the beer you could stand. Still; nice place. Like anyplace across the nation that sells alcohol, and I remind myself that it is not illegal to drive after drinking.

aleshirley

The look back for Ohio DUI is only 6 years, so even if they did take the Michigan DUI into account it won't affect the case there.
This is NOT true in all municipalities in the state of OH. In the city of Medina the judge considers the past 20 years and it does affect your sentencing.

seven53

SB 17 was just passed in May 2007. The look back is a 4th OVI within 6 years is a felony or 6th OVI within twenty years is a felony.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">