• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister POA, second POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skipzaar

New York

My father, who is 95 years old, still in good heath, and still can get around (he even still drives), and has a good deal of money has made my sister POA over his well being, and paying his bills.
I read on the internet that in NY, there can be a second POA, more or less a check, and balance to see if there is any wrong doing. She would still have the right to write checks to pay the bills, but any other checks without my fathers ok, would have to be OK by me.
Same as if she wanted to put him in an old folks home, she would need my Ok, or go to the courts.

From what I read, you just draw up the paper, then have it signed by my father, and me in front of an notary republic, and have them stamp it , and it becomes law?

Am I right in the way I read it?What is the name of your state?

I have a lot more to ask, My brother died May 25, 2007. Never married, no kids. Lived with my father.

He had a law suit for 100,000s dollars that he was sure to win (lawyer even lent him money). Now my sister has all of the letters from the attorney. She took them (looking out for my father)??

Last edited:

lwpat

Someone needs to start probate for your brother's estate. Your sister has probably already done this. You can check at the probate court. As for the other, why are you concerned?

skipzaar

My brother had a new GMC 4 wheel drive pickup. The first thing she did when learning of my brothers death was to go get the truck, and take it to her house.
I told her it don’t belong to you, it belongs to my father. It didn’t faze her, she still has it. I ask me father about it, he said I don’t know were the truck is, the bank most likely took it. It still is at my sisters house.

So, you say open probate if someone else hasn’t already. I talked to probate around two weeks ago, no one started probate yet, so can I do it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">