• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

missed dui hearing in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aachic

What is the name of your state? PA

I got a dui in PA last summer. First offense, no one injured, but I refused the testing.
I lived there at the time and circumstances (losing my job and having no money forced me to leave and stay with family in Florida) All the while I have been trying to contact the courts myself because I could not continue to pay my lawyer there and wanted the courts to know my situation.

I now have a bench warrant there because I missed the ARD hearing. I just found this out by searching online. I am an active memer of AA because yes I was an alcoholic, I have 7 months sober, mended my family realtionships which my alcoholism negatively affected, repaired my marriage and am 6 months pregnant.

I still cannot afford a lawyer, but am going to fly to PA, go to the Public Defender's office, and turn myself in at the bench warrant division.

Does anyone with a legal background or legal knowledge know what i could be facing here? Bail needed? Is it possible that bringing documentation of my sobreity, detox at a rehab and total change of life will benefit me? Will the fact that now I live in FL keep me from getting freed until the hearing?
I just want to make this situation right and move on with my life. Being pregnant and going back to PA alon is scaring me.

Thanks

aleshirley

State of OH -

Congrats on your sobriety!
I am no lawyer but I can only assume turning yourself over and providing documentation as to the consistent improvements and state of your life now (which has you turning yourself in) can only benefit your situation - ALL of that will matter to the judge. I assume this because completing DUI school, and beginning counseling prior to my sentencing date apparently lessened the jail time I eventually had to serve for my first time DUI.

aachic

Thanks for the vote of confidence! So, you did do time for you first dui? How long and how scary was it? I am sure the courts here all the time about people changing their lives and swearing by it, so I am hoping the documentation helps me out!!

aleshirley

I live in a very tough muni and yes in addition to the 72 hour restricted dui school I also had to serve an additional 72 hours in county jail. For me it was very scary - and I'd rather serve quadruple the punishment on house arrest or larger fnes than spend another min in a jail system. I don't want to give you more to think about than you already have but that was my experience as a 30 year old woman who had never been in an ounce of trouble her entire life until the night of that DUI.

aachic

yea i figured it would be pretty bad. jail isn't supposed to be a vacation, right! I am in the same boat. I just turned 31. Well, I guess I just have to do the best I can do. thanks

FlyingRon

Were you not assigned a probation officer as part of the ARD? You should start with him first (and should have contacted him whenever *ANYTHING* in your status changes.

aachic

I wasn't given ARD yet. The hearing was pending. SO, I didn't have a probation officer. What I did was call the pre-trial/bail services unit and left messages and even faxe my information of contact, but no return calls. even now, months later, with the warrant out there, no calls back. i finally got some help and retained a lawyer, and this isn't looking as bad as my fears let me think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">