• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unauthorized email access

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar27

What is the name of your state? Illinois

What are the possible penalties for accessing someone elses email account over 18 months ago? It was done a few times over a month or so. No damage was done, no financial damages, no loss of any kind. It was done due to insecurity and jealousy to a previous relationship, and her ex boyfriend. The password was found on printed out letters sent between them. Nothing was hacked or traced. The party affected probably has no idea this ever even occured. Is the statute of limitations for this misdemeanor 18 months in Illinois, thereby making these incidents over with for good? How long do ISP's keep records of log ins and so forth?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

manowar27

Thats completely ridiculous. First of all, its a misdemeanor if there was no monetary loss. Second of all, it's been 19 months since this occured. You mean that someone would get 2-5 in prison for reading emails? You could rob a 7-11 and get less time than that.

manowar27

Emails were never opened or read, therefore there was no invasion of privacy. The sent files were seen to check where mail was being sent. Is 19 months too long to press the issue?

Just Blue

Anyone have info concerning this? The quick 2-5 years in prison comment is completely false.
Since you DON'T know the answer, how do you know OS was wrong?? BTW, you are looking for the STATE law...OS was giving you the FEDERAL law...Your crime was both a Federal and State crime.

Ozark_Sophist

And this is the SEVENTH THREAD you started on this same topic.

Google:

Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. § 2701, et seq

or

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sup_01_18_10_I_20_121.html

§ 2701. Unlawful access to stored communications

(b)(2)(A) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 1 year or both, in the case of a first offense under this paragraph;

Or,

(b)(1) if the offense is committed for purposes of commercial advantage, malicious destruction or damage, or private commercial gain, or in furtherance of any criminal or tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or any State—
(A) a fine under this title or imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or both, in the case of a first offense under this subparagraph; and

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Ozark_Sophist : 11-09-2006 at 08:13 PM.

manowar27

First of all, no where does it say that I did this. Secondly, a misdemeanor in Illinois has a statute of limitation of 18 months. Getting back to my original question, if its been 19 months, is there any possibility of trouble now? For whomever does this type of thing.

Ozark_Sophist

First of all, no where does it say that I did this. Secondly, a misdemeanor in Illinois has a statute of limitation of 18 months. Getting back to my original question, if its been 19 months, is there any possibility of trouble now? For whomever does this type of thing.
Yes. Your criminal act is a violation of state AND federal code(s). The SOL for civil liability under the federal code is 2 years.

manowar27

MY criminal act?? Your pretty quick to point your finger and accuse. Where did it specify that I did this? Maybe I missed that part. So**************what can happen after 2 years has come and gone?

Ozark_Sophist

MY criminal act?? Your pretty quick to point your finger and accuse. Where did it specify that I did this? Maybe I missed that part. So**************what can happen after 2 years has come and gone?
By your own admission in the OP and all the threads you started on this subject, you committed a criminal act (why else would you be asking for the expiration date of the SOL?) that has both criminal and civil liabilities.

manowar27

Once again**************.what can happen after 19 months has come and gone? What can happen after 2 years has come and gone? Lets try to stay on the topic.

Ozark_Sophist

SOL renews at any time you use information unlawfully gained by your electronic snooping, so I don't see why you are so concerned. If you found dirt, you can't use it, EVER without the possiblity of being charged and / or sued. And whatever you found would be inadmissable in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">