• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income Tax amount for a bounus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alfam05

Instead of paying a shift premium my employer pays its employees a quarterly bonus due to the shift worked is the midnight shift. I just started working this shift and am getting ready to recieve this bonus. I was advised that this is taxed at 41%. Is this right and is that legal? I live in MI.

L

loku

Withholding on bonus.

The employer can figure withholding on bonuses using the same method used for your regular wages. If these payments are identified separately from regular wages, your employer may withhold income tax from these wages at a flat rate of 28%. An additional amount is withheld for social security at 6.2%. That makes a total of 34.2% withheld for federal purposes. The employer should also withhold an amount for state income tax purposes; therefore, the 41% could be correct.

However, you are not taxed at those rates. They only determine the withholding. Your bonus money will be added to your other earnings, and the total will determine the tax rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">