• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A thief invaded this man's home.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Mike

What is the name of your state? Myself-Colorado, the Crime-California.

I recently spent two months in California helping a man I have known all my life get off his ranch and into an "assisted living facility". As I stated in another thread I am his POA, the "trustee" of his "living trust" the executor of his "Will" and his "agent" for his "advanced health care directive". I also appointed one of his nieces and nephews to be his health care agent since I live in Colorado and they all live in California.

I will attempt to make this the reader's digest version. Upon my arrival in California I had suspicions about the woman who had taken it upon herself to do some housework etc. for Bob at his ranch house and eventually helping him pay his bills. Yep, you know what's coming don't you. I had already confronted her over the phone after seeing some charges on Bob's debit card account and she lied to me over the phone. When I arrived I immediately began checking into his finances. I went back five years into his checking accounts etc. I had already been informed by Bob's attorney that this woman had come to his office seeking POA of which he declined. She also had gone to Bob's accountant to inform them she would be handling his finances. That is when he called me here in Colorado and told me I probably should come out and start "stepping on some toes"....

I found several charges on his debit card that were made by her. One was a 300 dollar patio set from Orchard Hardware that went to her daughter in law. Another was 200 bucks worth of books from Border's that went to her house. 600 bucks in fencing supplies from a lumber yard where he has an account went to her house and the fence was up all nice and pretty. He knew nothing about any of these charges. He does have a certain amount of dementia diagnosed by a Neurologist.

I found several checks that she had made out to herself and he had signed. (not knowing what he was signing) I found several checks she made out to herself and she had attempted to sign his name. Obvious Forgeries. Numerous checks made out to Cash and cashed at his bank by him with her standing back in the shadows. All witnessed by bank employees. I got the videos. All in all I figure over the past five years she has taken him for over 50 grand.

When I started uncovering these things my wife said we should call our daughter. My daughter flew out to California and spent a week with us putting this all together for the local county Sheriff's Department. My daughter is an Investigator with a county Sheriff's Department here in Colorado and deals with fraud, theft etc. She in fact has the highest arrest record in this state. My wife is a retired Investigator with a local Sheriff's Department here in Colorado.

A good friend of mine who is now retired was the District Attorney in the county of which these crimes occured for twenty years. I showed all the evidence to him for his advice. As we speak this woman is being investigated for Forgery, Theft, Identity Theft and Elder abuse. Our biggest blockade in having her prosecuted is her age. She is 71 years old. The investigation is looking like Bob was not her only victim. It is speculation at this time but we believe she stole another mans inheritance some years ago. Bob is due to recieve a 300 thousand dollar inheritance from an aunt next summer. I believe that was her ultimate target due to many things.

I am putting a package together right now to turn over to the IRS. As we all can imagine, none of the money she stole was ever reported to the IRS as income. I am hoping they will have a nice bite out of her backside if it is important enough to them.

Her claim is that the money was paid to her for doing housework. Believe me, when we arrived at Bob's house no housework was evident. This woman is evil to the core. I stopped her dead in her tracks and she will never be able to touch Bob again and hopefully no one else either.

I personally cannot understand how a person like her can look in the mirror.

Just Mike

I don't see a question here, did you have one? It looks like you are doing everything right.

Perhaps I have misinterpreted the intent of this forum. I didn't realize it was only for questions. I thought it a medium to pass along information etc. In this posting I was merely passing along this information so that perhaps other would beware and possibly prevent this from happening to someone they may know or be responsible for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">