• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DWI conviction in Tx, moving to another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

numbopaige

TX. I got a DWI conviction (first offense) in Texas and have served my punishment, kept current on the Texas Surcharge (state law) fees, and my license suspension will be up in a few weeks. Here's the weird thing, I never had a TX driver's license. My last license was in CA (now expired). When i moved here, i went to DPS took a written test and thought i was done, well, I wasn't. Turns out, i needed to take driving test as well. So, I'm in the system, just don't know how officially. I'm moving to either NH, ME or VT next month and am wondering if I face a mountain of bureaucracy and problems in one of their DMVs? My brother-in-law, a cop, thinks it's crazy to pay tx the reinstatement, surcharge and SR-22 if I'm moving. What kinds of problems do I face when i get to where I'm going? Will this thing follow me, and to what extent?

moburkes

TX. I got a DWI conviction (first offense) in Texas and have served my punishment, kept current on the Texas Surcharge (state law) fees, and my license suspension will be up in a few weeks. Here's the weird thing, I never had a TX driver's license. My last license was in CA (now expired). When i moved here, i went to DPS took a written test and thought i was done, well, I wasn't. Turns out, i needed to take driving test as well. So, I'm in the system, just don't know how officially. I'm moving to either NH, ME or VT next month and am wondering if I face a mountain of bureaucracy and problems in one of their DMVs? My brother-in-law, a cop, thinks it's crazy to pay tx the reinstatement, surcharge and SR-22 if I'm moving. What kinds of problems do I face when i get to where I'm going? Will this thing follow me, and to what extent?
Your brother-in-law is an idiot. Call TX and do what you need to do. You also need to call CA to see if there is anything on your record there. You will not be able to get a new license, nor drive in TX or possibly CA if you don't take care of this. You will probably need a TX SR22 after you move, so put 1-800-PROGRESSIVE on speed dial. They are the only company that I am aware of that issues out of state SR22s.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">