• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do Elder Laws Vary by State?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shaye

My state is Mississippi
Can anyone tell me where to find information on Elder Laws in Mississippi? We are having a family meeting tonight, concerning our Mother, and her Physician Assistants' statement that she (mother) can NOT continue to live alone. She is stubborn, hateful, and determined to stay in her home. None of us(4 sisters; 1 brother) can stand to be around her, so no one would live w/her even if she wanted it. She is presently taking Aricept, so does that mean that she has a diagnosis of Alzheimers'? She is seeing a Gerientologist(or something) next week, but we don't know if we need to ask for Guardianship, conservatorship, durable poa, or what. Mother is not competent to make her own decisions, although she won't admit it. Her finances need to be controlled, because she is being manipulated by outside influences to buy things she doesn't need...such as $5500.00 hearing aids put on a credit card account opened by the hearing aid "sales person", charging 22.8% interest!! This woman is on a fixed income, and there are no assets to fight over. The house is supposed to go to my brother, but it is still in Mother's name, and she has taken out some pretty pricey loans on it, so he is probably already scr**ed! If anyone can give me any info to take to the family before she goes in for her evaluation, we would be thankful.
We know that we will need an attorney at some point, but finances prevent paying one just to answer general questions. Can the "Family" be named Guardian, or just one of us gets stuck with it? If we don't force her out of her house, can we be charged with neglect? This woman is CRUEL..my brother walked out and deserted his home(next door & on the same property), and moved into a cabin in the woods to get away from her! The home is not unsafe, but she lives in the country, and will have nothing to do with the neighbors, because they are all out to "take" her for something! She self medicates, and runs from one doctor to the other, trying to find out why she is always tired...the fact that she is 88 years old, and takes Zanax everynight to go to sleep, doesn't get thru to her. Thanks for letting me vent, anyway.

BlondiePB

Can anyone tell me where to find information on Elder Laws in Mississippi?
http://www.ms.gov/frameset.jsp?URL=http://www.mdhs.state.ms.us/fcs_aps.html
We are having a family meeting tonight, concerning our Mother, and her Physician Assistants' statement that she (mother) can NOT continue to live alone.
A Physician Assistant's statement is NOT acceptable.
She is seeing a Gerientologist(or something) next week, but we don't know if we need to ask for Guardianship, conservatorship, durable poa, or what. Mother is not competent to make her own decisions, although she won't admit it.
Mom cannot sign a POA or any other estate papers.
Can the "Family" be named Guardian, or just one of us gets stuck with it?
No. The court will appoint one person.
If we don't force her out of her house, can we be charged with neglect?
The court evaluators will determine the safety of mom living at home and report to the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">