• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voicemail Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms.Kahn

What is the name of your state?
New york

i was with my fiance for 4 years, about a year ago, we broke up...he had all my passwords for everything.. I changed most of my passwords, but forgot change my voicemail's password...I believe that he has been checking my voicemail... Can I get him in trouble with the law ?

moburkes

New york

i was with my fiance for 4 years, about a year ago, we broke up...he had all my passwords for everything.. I changed most of my passwords, but forgot change my voicemail's password...I believe that he has been checking my voicemail... Can I get him in trouble with the law ?
What did he do that was illegal? You need to change the password and move on. I'd have left you too.

moburkes

that's funny..He didn't do anything, but he did listen to my messages.. that's all..
Exactly. YOU gave him the password and now you want him to get in trouble for accessing your messages since you weren't smart enough to change the password.

Ozark_Sophist

He hasn't broken any law. They don't have TIME to be involved in your personal problem. Change the damn password and move on.
I disagree. He has broken the law -- at least a federal law. The problem is proof.

Electronic Communications Privacy Act. Title 18.

(1) "wire communication" ... such term includes any electronic storage
of such communication;
and

Sec. 2511. Interception and disclosure of wire, oral, or
electronic communications prohibited

(1) Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter
any person who -

(a) intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or
procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept,
any wire, oral, or electronic communication;
Even so, I don't see your ex being prosecuted. There are civil remedies available, but the costs outweigh any potential recovery.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

New york

You "believe"?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I disagree. He has broken the law -- at least a federal law. The problem is proof.

Electronic Communications Privacy Act. Title 18.

and

Even so, I don't see your ex being prosecuted. There are civil remedies available, but the costs outweigh any potential recovery.
She gave permission. So therefore he has not broken the law. the permission is inherent in the fact that she gave him her password and though she changed other passwords, she did not change this one. Therefore she has not revoked her permission for him to listen to her voicemails.

Ozark_Sophist

I agree. How could he break the law if he was given permission to listen to messages?:confused:
She gave permission. So therefore he has not broken the law. the permission is inherent in the fact that she gave him her password and though she changed other passwords, she did not change this one. Therefore she has not revoked her permission for him to listen to her voicemails.
By this flawed logic, a former employee of a company is still allowed to access sensitive company information a year after termination of employment without penalty.

Or it is acceptable for the workers in DC who continued getting transportation passes years after ending employment with government agencies. They had permission to get the passes, the passes were not revoked with the end of employment, so they had the right to continue using them. Not.

Ozark_Sophist

2701, (a) Offense.— Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section whoever—
(1) intentionally accesses without authorization a facility through which an electronic communication service is provided; or
(2) intentionally exceeds an authorization to access that facility
Or it falls under this section. The fiancee 'intentionally exceeded' his authorization by accessing the communication after the relationship ended. This is punishable by up to one year, fines, and civil penalties.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or it falls under this section. The fiancee 'intentionally exceeded' his authorization by accessing the communication after the relationship ended. This is punishable by up to one year, fines, and civil penalties.
However, how could he "exceed" authorization if he was never informed of limits on his authorization? (Did GF say "you can listen the the voicemails only if we're a couple"?)

But, again, it doesn't matter. Our OP only has her (somewhat paranoid) feeling that her ex is listening to the voicemails, which she gave (and never revoked) permission for him to do.

OP - don't worry about hitting the lottery or about getting this big bad man put in jail. Change your password and move on.

Ozark_Sophist

However, how could he "exceed" authorization if he was never informed of limits on his authorization? (Did GF say "you can listen the the voicemails only if we're a couple"?)
Did the employer specifically tell the employee "you can download sensitive company information only if you are an employee?" No, he said, "you are fired."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">