• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not 21, drove but had almost nothing in my system.. (Michigan, MI)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

still_lookin85

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hi:
It was my buddies birthday so we went out to celebrate. I had about 2-3 drinks in about a three hour period. I'm a 160 pound male. He had a lot more (8+). I'm 20, and he's 18. We left the bar and arrived at my buddies house at 2:30-ish. I drove to get some food, and waited it out until about 4. Then I drove home after clearing any traces of alcohol in my system.

I dropped my friend and his car off at his house, and started walking to my house (almost two miles away). Then all of the sudden, I see him driving off in his car. I knew he wasn't good to drive at all, so I ran after him but couldn't catch up. So I called a couple of my friends to help me look for him before he does anything he'd regret. We searched for an hour or two, and couldn't find him.

The next morning, I heard he wrecked his car in his subdivision. He drove into a ditch. Somehow, he got out of the driver's seat and into the backseat, and passed out there. The cops gave impounded his car and gave him a MIP (I guess because they couldn't prove he drove).

I took every precaution to practice safe driving. I also have a clear license, and turn 21 in a few months.

I was told that the cops were investigating this. Now I have these questions:
1.) Could I get into any legal problems?
2.) Could they go back and give me a DUI without even pulling me over? (Keep in mind I had little to no alcohol in my system).
3.) Could they also change my friend's charge from a MIP to a DUI?
4.) Could my friend who bought the drinks for us (he's 21), get into any legal trouble?

Thanks a lot guys!

FlyingRon

1.) Could I get into any legal problems?
You betcha, keep your mouth shut and contact a lawyer. Your explanation of your actions in court (or to the police) will gurantee a DUI.
2.) Could they go back and give me a DUI without even pulling me over? (Keep in mind I had little to no alcohol in my system).
Little alcohol for a minor is all that is necessary to convict.
3.) Could they also change my friend's charge from a MIP to a DUI?
Almost certainly. I'm not sure why they didn't already unless they were feeling charitable.
4.) Could my friend who bought the drinks for us (he's 21), get into any legal trouble?
Absolutely.

I took every precaution to practice safe driving.
Obviously not. By your own admission you drove under the influence in addition to violating several other laws. You need an attitude check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">