• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My first DUI, what to expect??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VerySorry

What is the name of your state? Oregon
It was the dumbest thing I have ever done and now I don't know what to do. I have to go to court on the 24th and to top it off we have NO money and I am suppose to start a new job. I need some help. I have no idea how this works, how much money I am going to have to pay.

Read through some of the other posts on this board to get an idea of what's going to happen, but a lawyer is really the only one who will be able to spell out all the possibilities.

In general, you're probably looking at some combination of the following: fines, fees and costs (which usually total into the thousands), license suspension, counseling, victims panels, community service, a sharp increase in your insurance rate (this one is sort of hit or miss)...

Those are just typical penalties. I'm not saying you'll get all of them, but probably most of them. There are also more severe penalties that could come into play depending on the details of your case, including: vehicle immobilization, jail time, interlock ignition, etc...

FlyingRon

You could get up to a $5000 and a year in jail. If your record is clean, you can probably get a diversion (essentially a years probation that includes an evaluation and possible treatment). However, this is one of those "plead guilty first" diversions so you should probably get a lawyer. You also need to go request a hearing with the DMV to fight for your driving privileges (otherwise they'll just suspend them).

VerySorry

I already had my license suspended

my license is suspended for 90 days......I have a temporary permit until the 15th of August. Do I have to contact DMV???? The reason I ask is I can find a way to get to work and the store and such without the use of a vehicle. I am assuming my driver's license is only suspended for 90 days**************....that is what is on the ticket.
I also cannot afford an Attorney without putting up $1500. I can't afford that so I am requesting a public defender. I do not have any choice.

FlyingRon

90 days is standard for first offenses, but you should go plead your case in the hearing.

Being unwilling to pay is not the same as being unable. You have to be trully indigent to get a public defender. You're better off begging or borrowing the money to pay for a private lawyer with DUI/DMV experience. You won't get the hardship license without the hearing either.

sjmjuly

Oregon has a first time offender diversion program. If you are offered and accpet it, you will be required to complete a specified alcohol education course (usually 12 weeks) you will probably be required to complete an alcohol abuse evaluation, pay a fine and have your license administratively suspended for 90 days. With a diversion, you are not convicted of the actual DUI, unless you fail to complete your diversion program. Depending on the DUI arrest circomstances, you may be required to attend a couple of AA meetings or a Victim Impact Panel meeting. This is all subject to the judges decision.
The DUI conviction will not show on your MVR, but a diversion will, and insurance companies will treat it as an alcohol related offense. Expect your insurance to go up.
The administrative suspension takes effect usually after 10 or 15 days (I am not sure) You need to request a hearing so you can petition to maintain restricted privledges during the 90 day suspension period. If you get diversion, your license will more than likely not be suspended for any longer than the 90 day administrative suspension (which is serparate from any court ordered suspension) Really try and get your own attorney. Try and find one that will accept payments if you can't pay in full. Like FlyingRon stated in his post, not willing to pay and not able to pay for an attorney are two totally different things. You practically need to be living in the street before you're eligible for a public defender. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones - There are not alot of states that offer first time offender breaks regarding DUI/DWI. But the best thing that can come from your arrest is the lesson you learn to never drink and drive again. I know I learned!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">