• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have a DUI on my CA record, and my NV record is clean... can i drive in NV?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FeelGoodPT916

OK... few years ago I had my CA license taken away from me. I had to surrender it due to a lot of Failure to pays. Eventually I paid off all the fines. Then I moved to NV in 2005. I got my Nevada license.

I was down in CA August 2006, and I got a DUI. I was pulled over for loud exhaust, and just happened to be over the legal limit. The DUI went on my CA record, since I previously had a CA license. My CA license was suspended, tho I did not have one.

Now, I am back in NV to work and make some good money. I paid NV DMV for my DMV printout. It says my record is clean and my license valid. No infractions, misdemeanors, no suspensions, no points... no nothing.

Is it really valid? Can I drive in NV, even tho I had a DUI in CA? I asked DMV and they said as long as my record is clean, it is ok.

Now... My step dad just came in ****ing yelling at me.

He was saying that his boss says it is not legal for me to drive in NV. And he talked to my uncle who is a retired LT from Sacramento County Sheriff, and he says it is not ok for me to drive in NV.

I told him, his boss, and my uncle are not DMV. Nevada DMV says it is ok for me to drive. He began to yell at me not to drive any of the cars. So I told him to buy me one. Just a few grand... get another honda or something. Without a car.. I cannot work.

So.. My question is.. Tho I have a DUI on my CA record, and my NV record is clean... can i drive in NV?

CdwJava

When/if the DUI in CA is reported to the NV DMV, then your license will likely be suspended (if that's what they do to DUI drivers in NV). Until then, your license would seem to be valid if that is what the NV DMV says. However, your boss can always decide that you are too great a risk because of the CA DUI, and he can always let you go. If you have a commercial license, I can see why he might do so.

Have you considered the possibility that you might have a problem with alcohol?

- Carl

FeelGoodPT916

Maybe you misread. It is not MY boss.. it is my step dads boss.

It is my first, and last DUI. I DO NOT have a problem with alcohol.

I was pulled over in CA for DUI on a NV license. I was Arrested. The DUI went on my CA record since I previously had a CA license. My CA license was suspended, tho I did not have one. My NV license was never touched.

CdwJava

FeelGoodPT916 said:
Maybe you misread. It is not MY boss.. it is my step dads boss.
I thought that somehow you might have been working with your stepdad. It didn't seem to make any sense that what his boss had to say was relevant unless you worked for him. Unless his boss is a DMV employee or something, it wouldn't matter what he had to say.

It is my first, and last DUI. I DO NOT have a problem with alcohol.
So the first time you lost your license was NOT for alcohol, then? Okay. I misread that.

I was pulled over in CA for DUI on a NV license. I was Arrested. The DUI went on my CA record since I previously had a CA license. My CA license was suspended, tho I did not have one. My NV license was never touched.
CA cannot directly effect your NV license. However, the arrest can and usually will be reported to your home state. In the meantime, if your privilege to drive is suspended in CA, you cannot drive in CA - NV license or not. It is my understanding that out of state records can sometimes take a year to get from one state to another ... maybe it never will. But, there is a real possibility that eventually the info WILL get to NV, and unless you have your stuff cleared in CA you may lose your NV license if they suspend for the same violation in NV.

- Carl

FeelGoodPT916

I thought that somehow you might have been working with your stepdad.
No I do not work with my stepdad. He just asked his boss. Why.. I do not know...

So the first time you lost your license was NOT for alcohol, then? Okay.
Correct. I had a lot of minor violations that racked up after a while. I finally had to surrender my license to a peace officer.

In the meantime, if your privilege to drive is suspended in CA, you cannot drive in CA - NV license or not.
I don't plan on driving in CA for a long time. I'm pretty much stuck working in NV.

So.. in the meantime.. Is it ok for me to drive in NV?

CdwJava

FeelGoodPT916 said:
I don't plan on driving in CA for a long time. I'm pretty much stuck working in NV.

So.. in the meantime.. Is it ok for me to drive in NV?
I would think so. As long as the NV DMV says your license status is valid, I see no reason to think it would be otherwise.

- Carl

moburkes

It is very shocking to me that your NV license wasn't suspended. Be prepared for them to realize years from now, this mistake.

FeelGoodPT916

As long as its years from now... and not right now. lol. I just need a couple months to pay off the rest of my fines.

I should mention... The suspension in CA is over. All I have to do is pay off the fines now.

moburkes

You won't be happy when it happens. You won't be happy with the new suspension. You won't be happy with the new fines. Nor will you be happy with the SR22 and increased insurance rates. However, I may be mistaken on the SR22 since NV uses a different form, I think.

moburkes

The Interstate Driver's License Compact is an agreement between the 45 participating states to share information regarding certain types of convictions, including Drunk Driving (DUI and DWI) convictions.

Because of the Compact, if a resident of one state gets convicted of a drunk driving offense (DUI and DWI) in another state, the driver's home state will be advised. The type of action that the driver's home state will take will vary from state to state.

However, after research I see that you may have just gotten a free pass. CA does not communicate violations to other states. BUT, CA does participate in the DLC: DLC - This is a list of states that belong to the Driver License Compact. An agreement between these states basically says you have only ONE drivers license record. NV participates also.

So, I'm not sure. Currently, it does appear to be a free pass. But, based on the laws of both states, what happened to you shouldn't have happened. CA should have notified NV.

The type of action taken depends on the state as well. Some states duplicate the actions of the state where the arrest was made. For example, if California suspends a driver’s privileges within that state for four months, the licensing state may suspend for the same length of time. Other states may enhance the action, or even require the payment of fines. Other states may be more lenient.

The bolded information is me. The rest is information copied off the internet.

lsutiger

moburkes,

Can you clarify what you mean when you say CA doesn't communicate violations to other states but participates in DLC? The reason I ask is I have a TX license and was arrested for DUI in California..

I had another question if my TX driver license does get suspended how does it impact my motorcycle license? (endorsement on the same license). Will that also be suspended? or is it independent of my driving license?

Thanks!

moburkes

I'm not sure why it didn't occur already. While they don't communicate to other states, they also subscribe to the notion that a person only has one license, regardless of the state that issues it, so a suspension in CA is a suspension in NV. NV also has laws on the books similar to this. The ONLY thing that I can think of is that, while CA doesn't tell the other states, it receives information FROM other states about DUIs in other states by CA residents.

In any case, since your driver license is suspended then your motorcycle license is suspended.

lsutiger

But if I have a TX license and I was arrested for a DUI in California, and like you said, if CA doesn't inform other states then how does that affect my driving privileges in TX or other states?

moburkes

Here is the relevant portion from NV laws:
NAC 483.565 Denial or refusal to issue license under certain circumstances. (NRS 481.051) The Department will deny or refuse to issue a license to any person who, upon an examination of his driving record in this State, any other state, the District of Columbia, any territory or possession of the United States or any country, indicates that his driver’s license or privilege to drive in that jurisdiction is suspended, revoked or cancelled or his application for a driver’s license in that jurisdiction has been denied.

(Added to NAC by Dep’t of Motor Veh. & Pub. Safety by R013-97, eff. 11-14-97)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">