• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Directive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kymmie65

What is the name of your state? MT and ID
My father in law was just taken to the ER last night from the nursing home in ID by my husband and his brother, We all live in MT. They decided to intervene because the private nursing care decided that since his medical directive said "do not recessitate" meant that if he should stop eating, drinking etc, that he should not receive medical care. Upon arriving they found him in bad shape I wont go into detail the deprived state he was in. After examination the doctors found that he was dehydrated, malnurished, he had pneumonia and a broken rib. We have kept in contact with the nursing home, we live about 2 1/2 hours away and they kept assuring us that all was well, they had taken him to the doctor etc. "this is just what happens when old people start to die". However, upon another conversation we asked what the doctor had said at his appointment and they replied that he had just went to have his protine checked and not for any of the other symptoms. That is when my husband and his brother intervened. My question is, Is there some secret medical directive somewhere that says that you dont have to offer palliative care? Because she kept waiving the directive around saying that she didnt have to take him in to be seen by a doctor. We just received a call from the hospital and he is not expected to make it. I truly believe had he been taken in when he showed signs of sickness, he would not be in the shape he is right now. Advice on how to proceed please. Thank you.What is the name of your state?

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? MT and ID
My father in law was just taken to the ER last night from the nursing home in ID by my husband and his brother, We all live in MT. They decided to intervene because the private nursing care decided that since his medical directive said "do not recessitate" meant that if he should stop eating, drinking etc, that he should not receive medical care. Upon arriving they found him in bad shape I wont go into detail the deprived state he was in. After examination the doctors found that he was dehydrated, malnurished, he had pneumonia and a broken rib. We have kept in contact with the nursing home, we live about 2 1/2 hours away and they kept assuring us that all was well, they had taken him to the doctor etc. "this is just what happens when old people start to die". However, upon another conversation we asked what the doctor had said at his appointment and they replied that he had just went to have his protine checked and not for any of the other symptoms. That is when my husband and his brother intervened. My question is, Is there some secret medical directive somewhere that says that you dont have to offer palliative care? Because she kept waiving the directive around saying that she didnt have to take him in to be seen by a doctor. We just received a call from the hospital and he is not expected to make it. I truly believe had he been taken in when he showed signs of sickness, he would not be in the shape he is right now. Advice on how to proceed please. Thank you.What is the name of your state?
Start calling attorneys that deal with nursing home abuse. Have hubby & his brother interview with several. This is blatant abuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">