• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 years ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

longago14

What is the name of your state? FL
15 years ago I got what was to be my third DUI. Long story short is I did the most stupid thing you can do and just left the state. God as my witness I thought the charge would disapear after 7 years. I was young, stupid and pretty much a drunk.

I've been clean now for 11 years and I haven't as much as touched a drink in 11 years. Its almost as if the person who used to drink wasn't me but was somene I once knew....long ago.

To this day I can't drive and I've pretty much lived with this every day for 15 years now.

It would be great to get this behind me and get on with my life...I have no idea what I can do about this other than just face the music. I have an incredible grandson now and the thought of jail and being away from him terrifies me.

Any ideas on what I can do now?

xylene

Any ideas on what I can do now?
Advice:

Realize your sobriety is not going to be a get off free card.

To the courts you are (not were) a habitual drunk driver who absconded.

If your plan is to face the music, the best thing you can do is consult with an attorney who can help you clear your pending case so that you can be free of this sword hanging over you.

Your will likely do some jail.

Possible sentences:

$2500 and up fine
30 days to 1 year (or more)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">