• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SEXUAL HARRASSMENT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KELLYCOP2

I WORK AS A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER AND APPROXIMATELY 8 MONTHS AGO WAS GROPED BY A SERGEANT. I IMMEDIATELY REPORTED THIS INCIDENT TO MY CAPTAIN, WHO INFORMED ME OF MY OPTIONS. I FILED A FORMAL COMPLAINT AT OUR PERSONNEL OFFICE. I WAS REMOVED FROM OUR MAIN FACILITY AND TRANSFERRRED TO ANOTHER FACILITY, WHERE I WAS THREATENED BECAUSE I WAS NOW CONSIDERED A "RAT". AGAIN I REPORTED THIS AND AGAIN I WAS TRANSFERRED BACK TO MY FIRST FACILITY BUT TO ANOTHER SHIFT. I WAS ASSIGNED TO RELIEVE THIS SERGEANT AT HIS POST EVEN THOUGH HE WAS ORDERED NOT TO HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH ME WHAT-SO-EVER AND THE CAPTAIN OF MY SHIFT WAS AWARE OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES. MY WORK ENVIROMENT HAS BECOME VERY HOSTILE AND I HAVE BEEN HARRASSED AND CALLED NAMES. WELL NOW IT IS HAPPENING ALL OVER AGAIN, BUT THIS TIME IT IS A LIEUTENANT AND I AM AFRAID TO SAY ANYTHING FOR FEAR OF THE SAME THING HAPPENING AGAIN. I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS, FIRST WHY WAS I THE ONE TO BE TRANSFERRED AND MADE TO CHANGE SHIFTS AND SECOND WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE NEW SEXAUL HARRASSMENT CASE WITHOUT GOING THRU THE SAME NIGHTMARE?

[Edited by KELLYCOP2 on 01-19-2001 at 09:44 PM]

B

buddy2bear

You have 4 choices: (1) talk to your union rep and file a grievance; (2) file a sexual harassment charge with the EEOC; (3) put up with it; or (4) find another job. It doesn't look as if it is going to go away and it will only be a matter of time before you end up losing your job, either because you quit or because you got fired for some trumped up reason. You are working in a male-dominated, closed environment -- and the so-called "thin blue line" to boot. Very bad place for a women to be, particularly the first-in group. Do you want to fight? If so, file a charge with the Union first and then the EEOC a few week(s) later. Just be ready to take a pile of emotional, possibly physical, raft of sh*t. Unfortunately, male cops think they are "macho gods."

C

_clawdia

I'm afraid I have to agree with buddy2bear. I am a female correctional officer (12 yrs), and the "thin blue line" is not a very forgiving creature. Yes, corrections is male dominated;I prefer to call it "good ol' boy land". It still amazes me when normally decent men will turn their heads the other way when they witness an injustice simply because there is the unwritten code to protect their brothers in uniform. What about their sisters in uniform? I'd like to tell you to fight them all the way, but you'd probably be an emotional basket case before you saw any satisfaction. I wish I could be more encouraging, but you aren't dealing with what's right or wrong here. Good luck in whatever you decide, and take care of yourself first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">