• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can estate director review transactions PRIOR to death?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sprocket

What is the name of your state? FL

A fews days before my father died in hospital, he granted me durable power of attorney and directed me to move his company pension to his wife (my mother). He was of sound mind of course and was until the end. Six months later, extended family members (beneficiaries) are asking for a review of that transaction! This inquiry causes myself and my mother grief as it assumes wrongdoing.

Question is: Beneficiaries and estate executor are demanding to review financial transactions executed by my father in the days PRIOR to his death. Can their lawyer legally demand this information?

BlondiePB

A fews days before my father died in hospital, he granted me durable power of attorney and directed me to move his company pension to his wife (my mother). He was of sound mind of course and was until the end.
Sorry, I don't buy this due to the fact that to witnessing people dying & their deaths days prior to their passing.
Six months later, extended family members (beneficiaries) are asking for a review of that transaction! This inquiry causes myself and my mother grief as it assumes wrongdoing.
Good for them.
Question is: Beneficiaries and estate executor are demanding to review financial transactions executed by my father in the days PRIOR to his death. Can their lawyer legally demand this
Yep, hand over the documents or they will be subpeonaed.

POA's expire at the moment the grantor dies.

sprocket

Yea, I suppose the way this was worded, you can't help but think of the Anna Nicole Smith and her elder "husband" scenario... :D

From a legal standpoint, what grounds would a person have to ask for transactions prior to a death? Will the next step be to prove competency? How far back in transactions can they go (1 week, 1 month, 1 year)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">