• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

irs workout and rental property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jake10

Hi, i live in Pa and plan on doing a "offer and compromise" with the irs on back taxes owed, would it be illegal to transfer a rental property to my son as a gift prior to this workout? and can he then sell this property in the near future? i'm not sure if i can even do a transfer cause the irs already filed a liens on me for the money.
any advice is appreciated, Thanks
~Jake10

L

loku

Offer in compromise

It is illegal to transfer assets to protect them from the IRS once it has started trying to collect. Although some people have legally protected their assets using family members, it takes advance planning and timing. Protection strategies are not guaranteed because the IRS can challenge a transfer. For example, if the transfer is within two years of the assessment, they may claim it was a fraudulent transfer.

To be safe, see an attorney to make sure you do the transfer legally and do not commit fraud on the IRS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">