• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income tax deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tsl90

This year I spent several hundred dollars going on job interviews at several cities around the country. I have accepted one of those jobs and will be moving in July. My questions are as follows:

Can I deduct any of the travel expenses for my interview trips?

Can I deduct any of the moving expenses for my new job?

L

loku

Job hunting and employee moving expenses

You can deduct certain expenses you have in looking for a new job in your present occupation, even if you do not get a new job. You cannot deduct these expenses if: 1) You are looking for a job in a new occupation, or 2) There was a substantial break between the ending of your last job and your looking for a new one.

You cannot deduct your expenses if you are seeking employment for the first time.

If you travel to an area and, while there, you look for a new job in your present occupation, you can de-duct the travel expenses if the trip is primarily to look for a new job. You may elect to use the standard mileage rate to figure your car expenses. The standard mileage rate for 2000 is 32.5 cents per mile.

If your new job is at least 50 miles farther from your former home than your old job was and you will work full time as an employee for at least 39 weeks in the first 12 months after you arrived in the new area then your move qualifies and you can deduct the moving expenses.

T

tsl90

Thanks

I am currently employed and my move will be a couple of states away to a job in the same field with only a few weeks between -- so it sounds to me like I should be able to deduct my interview and moving expenses.

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">