• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Health proxy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Flowers

What is the name of your state? NY
Hello,
My husband 86 years old, is in a nursing home due to a massive stroke suffered on January 1st of this year.

Today I asked the nursing home for copies of two sonograms done and they told me they cannot give them to me because I am not his health representative. What can I do? He cannot speak or communicate at all and cannot write so cannot ask for or sign.

I know what he would want in case any decision has to be made about his care and I have been doing just that all along, first in the hospital and then at the nursing home..I have signed for treatment. On tuesday I signed him up for a different HMO which will oversee his care in the nursing home and have paid bills (co-pays) and am the one responsible for paying the nursing home for the medicaid care provided. Medicaid took into account my pension and his...At the moment he is medicaid-pending but have been assured that he will be receiving it and then will be paying over a $1000.00 a month.

My question is: Why can't I get copies without a health care proxy since it seems for everything else I don't need one?

Flowers
What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">