• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First DUI - Federal court vs State Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dui-in-TX

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello,

I received a DWI a month ago and will be going to court in a few months. I was also involved in an accident..I was the only one involved and injured. Because the accident happened outside the main gate to a military installation, I will be charged with the DUI in a Federal Court vs a State Court and I am just wondering what the difference in Penalties and fines might be. I'm told by my lawyer that there are both advantages and disadvantages to it but he didn't elaborate beyond the fact that I shouldn't lose my license because the State has to take it and I also shouldn't have to pay the "anniversiary" fines for the next 3 years.

I know I was drunk, I won't deny that and I know I messed up. I do know that the accident wasn't due to alcohol alone. It had been pouring down rain and the area I wrecked in had been flooding. I had bad tires on the front of my truck and I hydroplaned when I hit the water. I won't use that as an excuse to the accident, only that it was also a factor. The tow service that towed the truck even stated as much upon his inspection of the truck and tires.

So again, this is my first DUI. I have no prior arrests, traffic tickets or incidents of any kind. I'm 27 years old and have had my license since I was 15. I also served honorably in the military for 8 years and have been working as a bartender for the last year. I know the repsonsibilities of alcohol consumption and driving. I'm a very responsible person and have done nothing like this in the past.

I just basically want to know what I'm looking at with charged with a DUI in the Federal Courts and if there is anything I can do to maybe help with receiveing lower fines/penalties? I've considered taking the Drivers Course and attending the MADD meetings in advance and mentioned it to my lawyer, but he told me to wait, that it really wouldn't benefit me and that I might not have to take them at all in any case.

Can anyone here provide me with any info or give me opinions? Thank you in advance, and again, I know I messed up so please don't judge me. I'm just asking for help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">