• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it okay not to hire because of pregnancy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jutice

I applied for a job I am overly qualified for. After the first interview I was asked to return the next day to learn alittle more about how they ran things. The owner learn of my pregnancy and asked a couple of questions, i.e. How long will I be out with the baby? Two months max, I'd assumed(I've never had a baby before). I stayed for about five hours. They told me to go ahead and go home and they'd be calling me in a couple days to let me know details of the job. I waited five days then finally I called. The owner then told me she went ahead and gave the position to someone eles because she felt it would be to hard to train someone for the short amount of time I'd be out. I asked ,"So your not hirering me because I'm pregnante?" She said that wasn't the reason then again stated it would just be to hard to train someone. If I wanted to take the part-time postion I could though. I'm from California. Please help!

B

buddy2bear

They would never say they didn't hire you because you were pregnant, because that is illegal. However, you state you were "over qualified" and they offered you a "part time" position. I don't think you would win in an EEOC claim. My advice is, although I am not an attorney, take the part time position and after you have the baby, approach them for something else. At least you can try the job out to see if you really want to continue working there after your giving birth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">