• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seeking Advice - Grandfather Won't Amend Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

modean

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

Hi -

My grandfather is getting up in years and verbally indicated that he would like my mother to receive all of his savings when he passes away (as opposed to splitting them between my mother and uncle) but he refuses to visit a lawyer to add this to his will.
Is there any way to informally document this? If a document were to be drawn up indicating this is my grandfather's intention would this be enough (i.e., with his signature)? If not, what else could be added to make this more binding?
Thanks for any advice you can give on this issue.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Rhode Island

Hi -

My grandfather is getting up in years and verbally indicated that he would like my mother to receive all of his savings when he passes away (as opposed to splitting them between my mother and uncle) but he refuses to visit a lawyer to add this to his will.
Is there any way to informally document this? If a document were to be drawn up indicating this is my grandfather's intention would this be enough (i.e., with his signature)? If not, what else could be added to make this more binding?
Thanks for any advice you can give on this issue.
The Will will over-ride other documents such as you mention.

seniorjudge

Grandpa's actions (which speak louder than words) show that he would NOT like your ma to receive all of his savings.

modean

So is there anything that can be done? A document with the mother, brother, and grandfather's signatures? A taped recorded message? Is there any point even in preparing such things or will they simply be completely useless?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So is there anything that can be done? A document with the mother, brother, and grandfather's signatures? A taped recorded message? Is there any point even in preparing such things or will they simply be completely useless?
simply completely useless.

EDIT: You don't HAVE to use a lawyer to write a binding will...

Last edited:

xylene

As senior judge also points out, your grandpa is telling you what you want to here, but doing what he wants to do.

Just for phun, Why would he disinherit his son? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">