• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

controlling where an employee may next work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bkrsusan

I signed a letter of understanding with my employer. (A NY stock exchange company owns my company). It stated that I am not allowed for a period ot three years to accept employment by a specific competitor, which happens to be a national franchise operator with whom we were associated in the past.

I am not a partner in my company, nor an officer. I hold no stock in my company and get paid a weekly salary. I have an opportunity to advance in the other company and I ask if my present employer can enforce the restriction I originally agreed to.

I reside in the state of Florida

B

buddy2bear

You signed a dedicated Non-Compete Agreement. However, three years is an excessive amount of time. You should have an employment attorney look it over and get his/her opinion. Also, most stock brokerages have arbitration clauses in their agreements which preclude you from suing them in a state or federal court. However, again, sometimes these arbitration clauses have been set aside and there is ongoing "discussion" of them being illegal to begin with. It just depends on the jurisdictional circuit in which you are located. See a labor & employment attorney first before you do anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">