• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need answers fast!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RayRay2411

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I am a 17 year old girl living in Michigan and I would like to move out of my home. I have convinced both of my parents to let me go. My mom will sign over full custody to my father and he will let me make a decision as to where I would like to live. I plan on moving in with a friend who is 20 (a femle friend so not a b/f g/f situation) where I will be expected to help pay bills. However I can not accomplish this on 18 hrs. per week while I am in school. So my questions are how do I go about getting the custody change and how can I work more hours per week to make a living?:confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If BOTH your parents are willing to let you make this move, the custody change is not required. If you have parental permission, you can move in with your friend at any time.

However, there is nothing whatsoever in the law that will force your employer to increase your hours. You are limited to the number of hours he is willing to provide you. In fact, if you are returning to school in the fall, eighteen hours a week is very close to the limit of hours you legally CAN work. Granted my kids have been out of school for a few years, but it seems to me that six hours a day, five days a week was pretty standard, and in your state the combined number of school and work hours cannot exceed 48.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">