• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abuse of my Elderly Aunt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juanl

What is the name of your state? California

My 90 year old Great Aunt is a stroke victim and being cared for in her home. She lives two hours from us and has no children, living siblings or husband. We suspected the latest caretaker of abusing my Aunt and called Adult Protective Services to investigate. They went to the home to check things out and were then convinced by the caretaker that everything was fine. They did however send another caretaker there to help/observe a couple hours every day. We are now sure she was attempting to kill my Aunt. She was caught by the visiting caretaker giving her blood pressure medication (not prescribed, doesn’t need it), unplugging her oxygen, and kissing her on the mouth while inserting a suppository.:eek: We got her out of the house, called the police and changed all the locks. We wanted her arrested for attempted murder. The police asked my Aunt if she wanted the caretaker to leave, and she said “no.” So, because the caretaker also holds “power of attorney” for all medical and financial decisions, the police left, adding that they can not do anything. HUH? So, murder is OK if you have “power of attorney?!” We very quickly managed to create a new POA for medical decisions and presented it to Social Services (who initially would not even talk to us about my aunt because we did not have POA!). The caretaker became irate and threatening because we would not let her reenter the home. While going through the house we found lots of unmarked medications in aspirin bottles, a syringe and dry laundry soap in the thickening agent used to thicken my aunt’s drinks. Sounds like a movie, huh? Luckily my Aunt has a very strong heart! Anyway, this caretaker should be in jail! She still holds POA for my Aunt’s finances and could have, by now, cleaned my Aunt out! We also discovered she arranged a “Reverse Mortgage” for my Aunt. She certainly didn’t need that! That’s probably gone too! Oh, and the new caretaker also caught her forcing my Aunt to sign five blank checks. This entire discovery has happened within this past week, and it seems every time we consult anyone with authority we are turned away. Grrrrrrr My Aunt also admitted to us that the caretaker threatened her with putting her in a home, adding that she is the only one that can care for her in her home. So the reason my Aunt told the police “no” was because she was afraid she would be put away. I really don’t even know what question to ask here. . .The new caretaker is very frightened. She believes the bad caretaker has intercepted the mail man a couple times this past week, and also calls constantly and then hangs up. Does any one have any suggestions or advice you can offer? We would really, really be grateful! Thank you. . .

tecate

Situations like this happen when relatives are concerned but do not undertake the responsibility themselves. Nature abhors a vacuum, so the first caretaker apparently saw an opportunity. Congratulations for stepping up to the plate.

There is a wide range of tasks you can do and duties you can take on, if your great aunt will cooperate and give you the legal ability to do them. If she won't, you can always start involuntary proceedings (a conservatorship), but from what you say, you do not appear to be at that point yet. So the first question is: How much work do you want to do yourself? Will she let you take over her finances and assets with a new POA? Will she give you authority to review past acts and take action against those who did her wrong? All of this is usually time intensive, and usually done for free.

nikkinmiss

This is so sad

What is the name of your state? California

My 90 year old Great Aunt is a stroke victim and being cared for in her home. She lives two hours from us and has no children, living siblings or husband. We suspected the latest caretaker of abusing my Aunt and called Adult Protective Services to investigate. They went to the home to check things out and were then convinced by the caretaker that everything was fine. They did however send another caretaker there to help/observe a couple hours every day. We are now sure she was attempting to kill my Aunt. She was caught by the visiting caretaker giving her blood pressure medication (not prescribed, doesn’t need it), unplugging her oxygen, and kissing her on the mouth while inserting a suppository.:eek: We got her out of the house, called the police and changed all the locks. We wanted her arrested for attempted murder. The police asked my Aunt if she wanted the caretaker to leave, and she said “no.” So, because the caretaker also holds “power of attorney” for all medical and financial decisions, the police left, adding that they can not do anything. HUH? So, murder is OK if you have “power of attorney?!” We very quickly managed to create a new POA for medical decisions and presented it to Social Services (who initially would not even talk to us about my aunt because we did not have POA!). The caretaker became irate and threatening because we would not let her reenter the home. While going through the house we found lots of unmarked medications in aspirin bottles, a syringe and dry laundry soap in the thickening agent used to thicken my aunt’s drinks. Sounds like a movie, huh? Luckily my Aunt has a very strong heart! Anyway, this caretaker should be in jail! She still holds POA for my Aunt’s finances and could have, by now, cleaned my Aunt out! We also discovered she arranged a “Reverse Mortgage” for my Aunt. She certainly didn’t need that! That’s probably gone too! Oh, and the new caretaker also caught her forcing my Aunt to sign five blank checks. This entire discovery has happened within this past week, and it seems every time we consult anyone with authority we are turned away. Grrrrrrr My Aunt also admitted to us that the caretaker threatened her with putting her in a home, adding that she is the only one that can care for her in her home. So the reason my Aunt told the police “no” was because she was afraid she would be put away. I really don’t even know what question to ask here. . .The new caretaker is very frightened. She believes the bad caretaker has intercepted the mail man a couple times this past week, and also calls constantly and then hangs up. Does any one have any suggestions or advice you can offer? We would really, really be grateful! Thank you. . .
I just had to say even though I have no idea what advice to give you that this just makes my blood boil.. I sure hope someone here can help you, and I do hope that you are willing to take care of this lady, I am so sorry that someone could do this to your aunt.
sometimes the evil that I see in people scares me. What type of human being does it take to be able to do this to another person? Anyway don't give up If you stay on top of this then the damage this caregiver is doing may be able to be contained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">