• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DMV Regulations ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FL2CT

What is the name of your state? FL, Moving to CT

Hello there..

I got a DUI about a month back in FL with .127, I took this as a serious grounding and went to DUI level1 and MADD program right away hoping to get my License back in the administrative hearing. Well, that didn't happen and I have a 6 month suspension(First time DUI and no previous records at all)

The crux of my situation is, I'm relocating to CT from FL for work, I intend to stick to my gun and hope to get in to a Pretrial diversion program from the criminal end of things.

1. Can I do a pretrial diversion program from CT, while the program is run by Orange Country, FL ?
2. After my initial 30 days of mandatory no driving, can I apply for a license in CT when my license is suspended till Dec in FL ?
3. I intend to set my records straight in FL and get a hardship license after 30 days; but should I do this or apply for a license in CT

I appreciate your time and suggestions in advance..

Thanks

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Whether or not you can complete your diversion having moved is up to the discretion of the court/probation department. Doesn't hurt to ask nice. What you don't want to do is just up and move without getting cleared first.

You will find it near impossible to get a license in another state while you still have any sort of suspension (even with a hardship license) in Florida.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

If it were me, I think I'd apply for the hardship license here in Florida. I'd then ask (As Ron pointed out above) my probation officer for permission to travel and move, and request a letter from the PO stating that my move and driving in CT is with the blessing of the probation office / court. You still may not be able to legally drive in CT.

FL2CT

Thanks..

Ron, Big

My pre-trial conference is scheduled for next week; I did speak with my Pre-trial release officer and got a official nod for movement.

I can see the point in your response, but my situation is slightly more challenging since my Job requires my relocation before 20th of August to take over responsibilities at CT. I work for a Fortune 50 organization and the position I have been looking for materialized early June and I got the DUI end of June.

I intend to get back to FL after the 30 day mandatory suspension and will duly apply for my hardship license, Will it be advisable to use the hardship license from FL in CT ? Or Can I use the FL hardship license to apply for a CT license.

Can the pre-trial diversion program treat me as a Out of State case ?

I did speak to my attorney here in FL about this but he is only able to advise on FL DMV regulation; I really wish I had some information from CT DMV perspective to start breathing normally again :confused:

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">