• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Re: Elder Abuse to my Aunt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Juanl

Re: Elder Abuse to my Aunt

What is the name of your state? California

Thank you all for your suggestions, comments and concerns. Unfortunately this is all really happening. As for the quick POA, we created a new one to supersede the one that the caretaker (I hate referring to her as a “caretaker”) holds. . .my sister works in a hospital and called the Social Worker that she deals with daily for advice. She dictated the format and wording, we put three of us down as POAs, we had the new caretaker sign as a witness, and we got my Aunt to sign. Like I said earlier, the Social Services people in the city my Aunt lives in would not even speak to us before we presented this new POA document. They even told us that the caretaker called and wanted a representative to accompany her to the house along with the Sheriff to get us out of the house. The Social Services people told that her POA was no longer valid . . .so, it must be legal. I don’t understand the questioning of our POA. .?? We do plan on getting a Paralegal over to the house in order to get the POA for all financial decisions changed as well. We needed to act fast! This woman is crazy! We also called the Bank to warn them of financial abuse being committed (the caretaker still has my Aunt’s check book) against my Aunt’s account. . .again, they wouldn’t even let us tell them our story. I went to the Adult Protective Services web site and they state that if a Financial Institution suspects financial abuse being committed against a customer and they do not investigate or report it, the Institution can be fined and/or jailed. Thanks again everyone. :)

Juanl

Questionalbe Advice / Statement

BlondiePB wrote:

Exclamation Ark-Dar

Quote: Originally Posted by moburkes View Post
How did you get another POA?

That would have been one of my first questions too.
It's interesting that APS didn't petition for conservatorship, isn't it?

It doesn't seem unreal to me.
It is unreal.

Ms BlondiePB, Thank you for responding to our very sad and heart breaking situation. But, can you tell me what "Ark-Dar" means? I am new to this forum so I'm not familiar with all the acronyms used here. I am confused as to your question of how we got another POA. Is this unheard of? It worked perfectly for us. Also, can you explain your comment about the “petition for conservator ship?” What does this mean? Is this something we should look into ourselves? Or, is this something that automatically happens in cases such as ours? My mother is now staying with our Aunt until something more permanent and trustworthy can be considered. My sisters and I will be going back and forth as often as we can. As mentioned in my first post, this has all happened within the past seven days and we know nothing about all the legal ins and outs. My mother tells me that a woman from APS came out there again yesterday afternoon and asked many questions, and filled out a report. She said nothing about the woman mentioning anything about a “conservator ship.” But, I will ask her if it was indeed mentioned. Also, in response to your comments about this seeming real or unreal . . .We truly wish it were unreal. I did not share everything about the sexual abuse that was happening, but my poor Aunt endured much more! Was just trying to show that every aspect of abuse has been done against my Aunt by this sick woman. The new appointed caretaker, who is also a RN, has written everything witnessed down in detail. She was instructed to keep this daily log by APS. She even documents everything we say and do. My mother told me on the phone last night that she was documenting our conversation as she spoke (just her side of it, obviously). Anyway, can you get back to me on your comments/statements? We are looking to learn as much as we can very quickly. Thank you. :)

wire

I'm sorry that you are being treated as if you are making this up. I believe you.

If this type of thing was so "unreal" there wouldn't be laws in place against it. Sadly, what is happening to your aunt has happened many times before and will happen many times again.

Police in CA are mandated by law to thoroughly investigate claims of elder abuse, so I'm curious to know what they investigated, who they talked to, etc.

Juanl

Thank you Wire for your reply and kind words.

I found this site by chance and hoped some one could simply lead us in the right direction. In no way am I concerned if "Blonde" believes me or not, I have bigger concerns. . .but she (he?) did raise some interesting points. You also raised a good point! ALL the police did was come out to the house, kind of listen to all of us women trying to convince them that they needed to arrest this evil woman for attempted murder. . .they asked if we had POA, and after we said "no," they asked to speak to my Aunt. They asked my Aunt if she wanted the caretaker to leave?. . .she said "no." But it turns out she said "no" because she had been threatened by the evil caretaker. She told her that if she couldn't stay there and take care of her, she would have to be put into a home! Anyway, the police left! That was it! Case closed. But, now you raised a point I did not know. . .and now I am off to investigate. Thank you so much! My mother is now out there by herself along with the new caretaker. Mom is 72 years old, and now I am concerned for her safety as well. I'm not kidding, this woman is crazy! The new caretaker (RN) suggested that she could be skitsofrantic (spelling?sorry). Thank you again, Wire.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">