• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chances of jail time? please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enigma55

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

About four months ago, my daughter (who is 13) was caught using one counterfeit bus ticket (she made it herself) by the bus driver. She took this bus to get and come back from school everyday. The driver just yelled at her and told her to get off if she didn't have a real one, but she did, so she was allowed to stay. However, prior to her getting caught, she used atleast 40 fake tickets (using a scanner and printer). The value in all was about $60. There were also surveillance cameras on the bus. We haven't heard anything yet.
This is her FIRST offense. The tickets (which the school is supposed to provide for some students, but they didn't give her any) also had a signature of the head of the company, so I'm assuming forgery is a possible charge. One of my biggest concern is that this was all premediated and had she not been caught, she might have continued to use the fake ones all year around.

My question is, what are the chances of jail time and for how long? Is there anything that can be done to lessen those chances? The area I live in has a high crime rate especially among juveniles. Like I mentioned before, this is her first offense. I know, it's nearly impossible to get an accurate answer, but I just wanted a rough idea of she may be facing.

Thank you and God Bless

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">