• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first time duid in AZ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

buggered

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I was pulled over because the officer thought I had swerved. I took the field sobriety test and because I wobbled on one foot they took me to the station for more testing. The officer said he thought I was on meth which I have never done. I told them it had been 4-6 weeks since I last smoked marijuana. I quit because I received a scholarship and internship with a local company and didn't want to risk any hang ups. After completing the tests at the station I was asked to submit a urine sample which tested positive for THC metabolites. They tried to get a blood sample which would have proved that there was no parent drug in my system and that I had not been smoking recently. Unfortunately they were unable to get a sample after three tries. I have court on the 13th of this month and am wondering what to expect and any advise on how to get this reduced if at all possible. I have no prior criminal record
This will probably affect my scholarship and I don't want to blow this opportunity, which is why I quit in the first place. I have testing equipment at home and I am now four days later testing negative for metabolites.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

You should talk to a lawyer, but it sounds to me like you will be charged for marijuana DUI.

Based on the info you've provided, here's what they have on you:
The officer observed you driving in a manner that led him to believe you were intoxicated. Once he pulled you over, you failed the field sobriety tests. Then, you took a urine test which indicated that had been smoking pot.

If you believed that a blood test would have somehow cleared you from the charges, you should have been more insistent that the test be done. Drawing blood is a very common procedure that should not elude someone who has been properly trained. It is, or was, your right to obtain your own blood test right after the fact; that window has probably closed though.

Definitely consult with a lawyer, but I think this will be treated as a pretty open and shut DUI case.

buggered

Do I have the right to subpoena the other officer that was there at the time of arrest?
He mentioned that I was not visibly impaired and that he saw me nod at the cops (like I always do, we live in a small town) and he didn't see me swerve. The officer that stopped me knows me and people I associate with and has busted a couple of them recently. He was definitely "fishing" in my opinion. I'll give him credit it worked.:rolleyes:
I wasn't stumbling or having trouble standing but wobbled a little on the left foot after 27 seconds. He tested both and the right was fine. I am 275 pound man and standing on one foot in gravel that is at a slope was just hard for me. I dont believe I failed the test. He saw my hands shaking ( they always do) and said he though I was on meth. I passed every test just fine in the station and that is when he asked for a urine sample. If I would have said no they would have suspended my license for one year and honestly I wasn't worried as I figured I was clean already. I did insist on the blood sample and they "ran out of needle kits and gloves so they couldn't try again." Two different officers trained as phlebotomists couldn't get the job done some how and I told them to go in the back of my hand as this is where has been most successful in the past and they only tried that once.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">