• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qruestion Regarding Radon Mitigation Service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melon

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Upon moving into my home in the commonwealth over four years ago, I was informed about radon. After a testing, I contacted a radon mitigation service which was listed as certified by the state EPA materials provided. This company placed a system in my basement floor, with a pipe extending to the outside of my home. The system, ostensibly, had the purpose of drawing out any radon underground gas near my foundation and pump it to the pipe located outdoors.

The problem, however, is that the regulations call for the (outside) pipe mentioned above to be located at roof level. It was recently called to my attention, by air conditioning installers, that the pipe was out of compliance. Rather , my pipe was located at ground level, directly under my dining room window. Upon my contacting Pa. EPA, the rep quickly confirmed that the placement was blatently out of compliance, and sent me an e-mail to that fact. Their e-mail stated EPA will send the company notification and request that the company correct the inappropriate placement. The EPA will send me papers of that notification.

I do not wish that company to return to my home. Rather I would like to have my money returned (nearly a thousand dollars) do new testing (as the rep advised--the testing may not be correct) and hire another company.

I wish to sue the company in small claims court for a refund for breach of contract.

I would appreciate advice from anyone. Are you aware of similar cases? Thank you
Melon

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Upon moving into my home in the commonwealth over four years ago, I was informed about radon. After a testing, I contacted a radon mitigation service which was listed as certified by the state EPA materials provided. This company placed a system in my basement floor, with a pipe extending to the outside of my home. The system, ostensibly, had the purpose of drawing out any radon underground gas near my foundation and pump it to the pipe located outdoors.

The problem, however, is that the regulations call for the (outside) pipe mentioned above to be located at roof level. It was recently called to my attention, by air conditioning installers, that the pipe was out of compliance. Rather , my pipe was located at ground level, directly under my dining room window. Upon my contacting Pa. EPA, the rep quickly confirmed that the placement was blatently out of compliance, and sent me an e-mail to that fact. Their e-mail stated EPA will send the company notification and request that the company correct the inappropriate placement. The EPA will send me papers of that notification.

I do not wish that company to return to my home. Rather I would like to have my money returned (nearly a thousand dollars) do new testing (as the rep advised--the testing may not be correct) and hire another company.

I wish to sue the company in small claims court for a refund for breach of contract.

I would appreciate advice from anyone. Are you aware of similar cases? Thank you
Melon
**A: yes, I am aware of similar cases. You need to contact the company that did the work and give them a chance to correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">