• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Working in DE, living in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sprink

What is the name of your state? NJ

I currently live in NJ but commute to DE for a full time position.
How do I go about filing taxes in such a way that I avoid paying back in the end.
Is it better to have my employer withhold taxes from both states? Or should they just take out the DE taxes and fill out the non-resident form along with the NJ taxes?

I know that for PA, you will receive a credit since the DE taxes are more than PA.

What should I do?

abezon

What the heck has PA to do with this?

You'll file a nonresident DE return & pay DE taxes. You'll file a resident NJ return & hopefully NJ will give you a credit for what you paid DE. You may need to make estimated payments to NJ. Your employer should withhold DE taxes.

You could arrange a visit with a NJ tax pro to get a better idea of whether you'll need to pay NJ much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">