• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arizona-IRS sent tax return to the wrong address

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Four Eyes

Arizona

My mother lives in Arizona and was recently contacted by an accountant is California. Apparently, one of this accountant's clients was sent my moms tax forms (her return with all her info-SS#, Account #s, ect) by mistake. Needless to say, my mom was pretty upset that all of her info was sent to the wrong address and she is concerned about identity fraud.

The California accountant said that if my mom lived in California, the IRS would liable for this and would have to pay her a fine because of their mistake. What kind of (if any) repercussions are there when the IRS sends this kind of personal tax/ID info to the wrong person/address.

FlyingRon

None.

Despite what you were told, I'm not even sure there is any consequences to the IRS even in California.

Four Eyes

Wow! That's pretty scary considering all of the personal info that was sent to a random person due to the IRS' negligence.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited:

irsos

Arizona

My mother lives in Arizona and was recently contacted by an accountant is California. Apparently, one of this accountant's clients was sent my moms tax forms (her return with all her info-SS#, Account #s, ect) by mistake. Needless to say, my mom was pretty upset that all of her info was sent to the wrong address and she is concerned about identity fraud.

The California accountant said that if my mom lived in California, the IRS would liable for this and would have to pay her a fine because of their mistake. What kind of (if any) repercussions are there when the IRS sends this kind of personal tax/ID info to the wrong person/address.
She can file a civil suit for damages. She can revover the higher of $1,000 or actual damages for each disclosure. To get punitive damages and litigation costs, you have to show that the disclosure was willful or grossly negligent.

irsos

What damages? The forms went to a trustworthy accountant who reported the misdelivery.
No, the return went to the accountant's client. We know nothing about the trustworthiness of the client. Besides, the question was not, was my mom damaged? The questions was, what are the possible repercussions for the IRS?

Mike Wellman

irsos

Mike, you can remove the email address which advertises your site, or I can.
I removed my email address from my signature to please you. I do not deem it to be advertising. Even where attornies and CPA's are prohibited form advertising, they are allowed to post their name, address and phone number.

In frequently asked questions of this forum, it states "It is your responsibility to keep the information in your profile up-to-date. You should especially ensure that your email address is kept current." There is also a place for web address in the profile. This would lead me to conclude that the owner's of the forum contemplate that users will contact posters. Private messages are another clue. I just inserted my email address for convenience. Sorry it offended you.

moburkes

You agree that you will NOT use the FreeAdvice Forum to post any knowingly false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, or threatening message and/or user name, or to post any advertisement, chain letter, solicitation or other commercial message, or to post material that is illegally invasive of another person's privacy.

You are more than welcome to use a generic email address like "yahoo" or "hotmail" or "gmail" that doesn't LINK to your "business".

irsos

You are more than welcome to use a generic email address like "yahoo" or "hotmail" or "gmail" that doesn't LINK to your "business".[/QUOTE]

As I said, I do not view it as advertising, nor would the State Bar or State Board of Accountantcy. It does not link to my business, it is my email address. Are you saying that if someone works for Baker Botts, they cannot use an email address like "mike@bakerbotts"?

moburkes

Yes, that is what I'm saying.

Mike, advertise all you want in PMs, and elsewhere. Just not on the forum itself.

LdiJ

You agree that you will NOT use the FreeAdvice Forum to post any knowingly false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, or threatening message and/or user name, or to post any advertisement, chain letter, solicitation or other commercial message, or to post material that is illegally invasive of another person's privacy.

You are more than welcome to use a generic email address like "yahoo" or "hotmail" or "gmail" that doesn't LINK to your "business".
Moburkes, an aol email addy is just as generic as a yahoo or hotmail addy. If the moderator has a problem with the the moderator will address it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">