• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm off the will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Boston_Babe28

My grandmother has alot of money...stocks,,bonds etc..anyway her will states that in the event she passes my father will get everything and in the event my father passes my brother and I are to divide equally..Well my dad no longer speaks to me..I know that if my grandmother passed i could contest the will but do i have a chance of winning..I'm afraid that my father would put everything under my brothers name and i would be left out...could i fight to get my share even though it states it goes to my dad??? I live in MA

JETX

I think that you misunderstood the terms of the will. As I understand it, in the event that your grandmother passes away WHILE YOUR FATHER IS STILL ALIVE, then he inherits everything. He can then do with as he wishes (unless otherwise in the will).

However, if your father PRE-DECEASES (dies before your grandmother), then the estate will pass to you and your brother equally.

If this is the case, your father will not be an issue in YOUR direct inheritance from your grandmother.

Please rethink this issue and post here if you have further.

B

Boston_Babe28

Yes your right that is how the will is worded..so if my grandmother passes then everything goes to my father and my father can do whatever he wants...and i can't fight it??..gggrrrr...

JETX

Sorry, but if the will gives him everything without conditions, then there is little if anything that you can do. Also, you would have NO grounds for contesting the will (unless you can claim undue influence, etc.... highly unlikely in this case).

My only suggestion would be to talk this over with your grandmother. Maybe she can make a provision that either you get a direct inheritance or put a condition on the bequest to your father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">