• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured Spouse - Federal Tax - Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuperDooper

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I filed an Injured Spouse form with my 2006 taxes (attached to my 1040). I went to look at my Refund Status and it seemed to indicate that the Injured Spouse form was never entered. So, after 4 - 5 calls to the IRS, it was stated that they never received the form (I have copies of everything I submitted so I'm assuming they lost it).

I was told to resubmit the Injured Spouse form and then wait at least 2 weeks to verify they got it. I sent the form on July 18th and they received it on July 23rd (per the USPS). So, it's been 16 days and I gave them a call today. It was stated that my account is on hold and awaiting information from me (so being on "hold" doesn't seem to mean anything). In other words, they still have not gotten this form.

I feel like I'm being given the run around. I asked the operator what to do and she stated to give it yet another week and then call. I asked, at that time, what do I do if you still have yet to get the form. She stated I would have to resubmit it. She stated that it takes 14 weeks to process. I told her I understood, but was told that it only takes (up to) 2 weeks to get it into the system and to verify that they got it. She told me, "Well, you aren't the only person we have to deal with."

How many times do I have to resubmit something to get it taken care of? Why is the IRS being so negligent in getting this information processed. Is there anything I can do at this point to get things squared away or am I at the mercy of the IRS at this point?

Thanks.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I filed an Injured Spouse form with my 2006 taxes (attached to my 1040). I went to look at my Refund Status and it seemed to indicate that the Injured Spouse form was never entered. So, after 4 - 5 calls to the IRS, it was stated that they never received the form (I have copies of everything I submitted so I'm assuming they lost it).

I was told to resubmit the Injured Spouse form and then wait at least 2 weeks to verify they got it. I sent the form on July 18th and they received it on July 23rd (per the USPS). So, it's been 16 days and I gave them a call today. It was stated that my account is on hold and awaiting information from me (so being on "hold" doesn't seem to mean anything). In other words, they still have not gotten this form.

I feel like I'm being given the run around. I asked the operator what to do and she stated to give it yet another week and then call. I asked, at that time, what do I do if you still have yet to get the form. She stated I would have to resubmit it. She stated that it takes 14 weeks to process. I told her I understood, but was told that it only takes (up to) 2 weeks to get it into the system and to verify that they got it. She told me, "Well, you aren't the only person we have to deal with."

How many times do I have to resubmit something to get it taken care of? Why is the IRS being so negligent in getting this information processed. Is there anything I can do at this point to get things squared away or am I at the mercy of the IRS at this point?

Thanks.
You are at the mercy of the IRS. However, you are also being just a little too impatient for results. You really ought to be allowing 30 days before you assume that they either didn't get something or lost it.

I will give you a piece of advice for the future....make sure that your return is submitted electronically. If its submitted electronically they can't claim that they didn't receive any one particular form.

SuperDooper

Had 3 operators tell me up to 2 weeks to get into the system. So I thought giving them an extra 2 days wasn't pushing the issue.

About the e-file. Lesson learned. I've had my taxes done professionally for the past 2 years (due to the Injured Spouse form) because I couldn't find the form in Turbo Tax and such. I guess I'll see what next year brings, but hopefully I'll be able to e-file.

Thanks for your response!

LdiJ

Had 3 operators tell me up to 2 weeks to get into the system. So I thought giving them an extra 2 days wasn't pushing the issue.

About the e-file. Lesson learned. I've had my taxes done professionally for the past 2 years (due to the Injured Spouse form) because I couldn't find the form in Turbo Tax and such. I guess I'll see what next year brings, but hopefully I'll be able to e-file.

Thanks for your response!
Your professional preparer didn't e-file the returns for you? That's a bit unusual. I know very few professionals who don't e-file individual tax returns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">