• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIC in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

c87

What is the name of your state? Texas (Bandera County)

March of 2006, I was 18 at the time, about to turn 19. I received an MIC (minor in consumption) during a party out in Bandera. The party got raided, and after the officers took down our information, they let us go. A month and a half later, I received a letter from a lawyer in Bandera (I'm from a different city nearby). The letter said I received an MIC from Bandera and I was to be placed on a Pre-trial Diversion. This was my first time, and the pre-trial diversion agreement had me do 16 hours of community service, take a VIP or AA class, and pay a $100 pretrial diversion fine. I had 3 months to complete all this. If I were to behave accordingly to the pretrial diversion agreement, and do all that was described, my MIC charges would be dismissed. Therefore, I did what I was told and mailed off everything to prove that I completed the pretrial diversion. The law office said I was clear and my MIC was dismissed.

My main concern is what does the world "dismissal" mean? Is it OFF my record for good? Or is it still present on my record but has a big red "DISMISSED" stamped next to the charges? Only reason I'm asking is because I'm applying for jobs and they ask me if I've ever been on a pretrial diversion. I'm not clearly sure if I should put yes or no since my MIC was "dismissed". I don't want to put no and when they give me a criminal background check, they see a MIC charge on there (even though it was dismissed).

Thank you

c87

"My main concern is what does the world "dismissal" mean? Is it OFF my record for good? Or is it still present on my record but has a big red "DISMISSED" stamped next to the charges? Only reason I'm asking is because I'm applying for jobs and they ask me if I've ever been on a pretrial diversion. I'm not clearly sure if I should put yes or no since my MIC was "dismissed". I don't want to put no and when they give me a criminal background check, they see a MIC charge on there (even though it was dismissed).

** Great question, and it shows you're thinking responsibly.

Things have changed over the years and a dismissal does not necessarily mean there's no mark on your record. I would recommend that you acknowledge that you did serve pretrial diversion and you completed all requirements with no violations and things were subsequently dismissed.

Here's what this does for you. It shows that you're honest (good employers like that). It also shows that you took responsibility for your actions and took measures to clean up your mistakes. (good employers like that). This also protects you from naievly saying you have no record and then something showing up when they do a background check. (good employers DON'T like that.)

I have a DUI conviction on my record and I ALWAYS communicate this up front with employers. I have never had any problems getting a job. In fact, I have yet to run in to an employer who ever cares about the DUI. The typical response I get to the DUI is "well, I should gotten a couple of those myself".

c87

"My main concern is what does the world "dismissal" mean? Is it OFF my record for good? Or is it still present on my record but has a big red "DISMISSED" stamped next to the charges? Only reason I'm asking is because I'm applying for jobs and they ask me if I've ever been on a pretrial diversion. I'm not clearly sure if I should put yes or no since my MIC was "dismissed". I don't want to put no and when they give me a criminal background check, they see a MIC charge on there (even though it was dismissed).

** Great question, and it shows you're thinking responsibly.

Things have changed over the years and a dismissal does not necessarily mean there's no mark on your record. I would recommend that you acknowledge that you did serve pretrial diversion and you completed all requirements with no violations and things were subsequently dismissed.

Here's what this does for you. It shows that you're honest (good employers like that). It also shows that you took responsibility for your actions and took measures to clean up your mistakes. (good employers like that). This also protects you from naievly saying you have no record and then something showing up when they do a background check. (good employers DON'T like that.)

I have a DUI conviction on my record and I ALWAYS communicate this up front with employers. I have never had any problems getting a job. In fact, I have yet to run in to an employer who ever cares about the DUI. The typical response I get to the DUI is "well, I should gotten a couple of those myself".
Thanks for the quick reply.

my OTHER concern is applying for graduate school. What should I do/say then if they ask me if i've had a pre-trial diversion?

"Have you ever been convicted of, or have pending, a misdemeanor or felony charge including driving under the influence of alcohol or driving while intoxicated (DUI/DWI offenses)? □Yes □No
Have you ever been convicted of an illicit substance offense, or been subject to deferred adjudication for the offense? □Yes □No
Have you ever been subject to court order probation or confinement? □Yes □No"

What should I put in this case? I was not convicted (I don't think i was... I never showed up to court. I just received a letter in detail about the pre-trial diversion).

Last edited:

xylene

Thanks for the quick reply.

my OTHER concern is applying for graduate school. What should I do/say then if they ask me if i've had a pre-trial diversion?

"Have you ever been convicted of, or have pending, a misdemeanor or felony charge including driving under the influence of alcohol or driving while intoxicated (DUI/DWI offenses)? □Yes □No
Have you ever been convicted of an illicit substance offense, or been subject to deferred adjudication for the offense? □Yes □No
Have you ever been subject to court order probation or confinement? □Yes □No"

What should I put in this case? I was not convicted (I don't think i was... I never showed up to court. I just received a letter in detail about the pre-trial diversion).
The answer to ALL of those questions is NO.

A MIC is not going to devastate your career.

Even if 'discovered' Criminal convictions, especially minor ones, will not keep you from grad school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">