• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jailer did not ask about medical problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michaela-49

My Wife does not speak English very well. She had an interpener present at her booking. She was not ask if she had any medical problems. She suffered an allergic reaction to the beef and chicken she was fed while in jail. Isn't it a law in the State of Washington to confirm incarcerated people have their medical health cared for?

T

TimC

Common sense in this country dictates that the criminal inform the staff of any potential problems regarding food allergies.

The staff has NO WAY of knowing of any allergies. It is absolutely ludicrous to think that the criminal in this case would knowingly eat something that they were allergic to, anyway. And I seriously doubt that the staff FORCED the criminal to eat the food.

Am I missing something?

M

michaela-49

yes you are missing something. My Wife was in jail for a cultural difference. She is from Vietnam. In VN it is considered OK for wives to hit her husbands, here it is not. The State of Washington does not recognize cultural differences. In Vietnam you do not complain about the food you are fed in jail. They just don't feed you if you do. Another cultural difference. When the food was given to her she tried to talk to the jailer but he said everyone eats the same food. Common since would be the jailer should have ask if she had any medical problems simply because they knew she has only been in the country a short time. House Bill ESHB 2337 states the arresting officer needs to ask and research medical problems to confirm there is no threat to officers who may arrest this person in the future. This info is then added to a computer base to aid the officers safety in a future arrest. If this had been done, this problem would not have accured. A friend of mine was recently arrested and booked into this same jail and said he was asked if he had medical or mental problems. Why wasn't my Wife?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">