• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need information about moving out. Please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SamanthaL

Tennessee.

I recently moved from Florida with my mom and younger sister because my mom divorced my stepdad who has raised us for 10 years. As soon as we had our house my mom's new boyfriend moved in. He's nice, but it's some strange person that just suddenly jumped into my life. I'm 16 years old, going to be 17 in early November. My step dad still lives in the house I used to live in, and works, so he has a steady living situation. My dad lives in the same town in Florida as well. They are both equally fathers to me, but I lived with my stepdad for much longer than my dad, and I grew up with him. I would live with my dad, but I know he does not have a dependable living situation. I left behind the school that was perfect for me, a high school that was a center for the arts and I had a 75% chance of earning a scholarship through that program, so that is one reason I want to go back.
A few years back someone very close to my mother died, and she hasn't been the same since. We used to do family things, and now we're constantly fighting, and she's a constant source of stress, and I can't mentally handle this for much longer. I'm almost always depressed, and I just want to leave, as does as my 14 year old sister. I'm pretty sure in Florida the legal age to move out was 16, but I know almost nothing about Tennessee laws.
My step dad would love to have me back, and I maintain a relationship with him over the phone. But the problem is my mom. She has actually told us that she doesn't care if we go back to Florida atleast 4 times just this week, but when we say we want to, she get's even angrier. She's almost always yelling, and before school started my morning wakeup would be someone screaming and yelling at me. I love my mom, and she provides everything we need physically, and I appreciate it(contrary to her belief) but I cannot mentally handle living with her, I'm afraid I may end up having a breakdown. Bipolarism is genetic in our family, and I don't want it to be brought out in me, which I'm afraid might've happened to my mother.
I think the legal age for moving out in Tennessee might be 18, but I don't know anything about this state.
Is there any way that I could legally go back to Florida and live with my stepdad?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In all 50 states, the legal age to move out without permission is 18.

There are one or two states (Missouri comes to mind) where a 17 year old, in some circumstances, can move out and it will be difficult (not impossible) to force them to come home, but there is NO state where a 16 year old can move out without permission. (Neither Florida nor Tennessee is among those states.)

If you have your mother's permission you can move in with your step-dad, but unless you have such permission then you stay where you are until you are 18 or custody is taken from her and given to someone else by the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">