• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New case: Feds enjoin tax deniers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state? NDNY

Not that I expect it to open anyone's eyes as to what's at stake, but:
Reported today (for those of you with PACER), US v. Schultz, 1:07-cv-0352

Executive summary: Two Queensbury, NY-based groups that disseminate materials purporting that people have a right not to pay federal income taxes are doing little more than 'promoting an abusive tax shelter', federal judge Thomas J. McAvoy has ruled.

Amongst other things, the judge ordered the two companies to turn over a list of every "client" who purchased their materials. Gee, I wonder what the government wants that for? :D

Free story: http://www.webcpa.com/article.cfm?articleid=25046
(Full story: www.nylj.com)

irsos

Executive summary: Two Queensbury, NY-based groups that disseminate materials purporting that people have a right not to pay federal income taxes are doing little more than 'promoting an abusive tax shelter', federal judge Thomas J. McAvoy has ruled.

Amongst other things, the judge ordered the two companies to turn over a list of every "client" who purchased their materials. Gee, I wonder what the government wants that for? :D

So the score is now IRS 10,001 and tax protestors zero. And to think those silly scamps at the IRS still keep insisting they are right. Go figure.

Some Random Guy

Nothing new here.

When companies selling tools for stealing cable and DirectTV signals get raided, they commonly have to turn over their customer lists to avoid further penalties.

Likewise, some of the biggest accounting firms in the US came up with tax avoiding "structured transactions" in the past 2 decades. In cases where the IRS ruled that the transactions were illegal, the accounting firms were ordered to turn over the lists of customers to whom they sold those tax avoidance packages. In these cases the accounting firms were never criminally charged, but were fined large amounts.

You Are Guilty

I only threw out the client list part to get folks' attention. The interesting thing is the court permanently abridging this yokel's First Amendment rights to speak nonsense. :cool:

LdiJ

A ton of people are going to regret ever having purchased those materials.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">