• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In California - Can homeless kids go to school?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

suta26

What is the name of your state? California

Are homeless kids (under the age of 18) in the state of California allowed to attend school?

If they have a parent/guardian or not?

Are there any lawyers here that could refer me to a law, statute or ordinance that I can research further?

Thanks!!

quincy

The United States Department of Education has a Homeless Assistance Act which addresses the needs of homeless children and their access to education. With access to a computer, you can locate an education liason in your Californian county to assist you - go to www.cde.ca.gov/sp/hs/cy/homeless05lia.asp (I am not sure how current this information is, so just by going to www.cde.ca.gov you can probably locate more up-to-date information).

The Student Achievement and School Accountability Programs address problems often encountered by homeless children, including transportation needs, immunization and residency requirements, lack of birth certificates and school records, and guardianship issues.

So, yes, homeless kids in California are not only allowed to go to school, they are encouraged to and assisted.

CdwJava

Are homeless kids (under the age of 18) in the state of California allowed to attend school?
Yes.

If they have a parent/guardian or not?
If there is no parent or legal guardian, there might be issues and the state (city or county agencies) would generally have to step in.

Are there any lawyers here that could refer me to a law, statute or ordinance that I can research further?
There are a lot of them.

Can you be a little more specific as to the situation?

If the child is a runaway, then it is not likely he will be enrolled in school without the assistance of the local authorities who will have to place him in appropriate housing (foster care, group home, etc.).

Contact your local county Office of Education. It is the county office of Ed. or social services that generally operate student and other homeless assistance programs.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">