• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking Out Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Letigre937

Hello, all!

I live in Illinois, but was lucky enough to get a paid internship in NJ this summer. The only problem is figuring out the taxes! Does anyone have any advice for me?

--Courtney

LdiJ

Hello, all!

I live in Illinois, but was lucky enough to get a paid internship in NJ this summer. The only problem is figuring out the taxes! Does anyone have any advice for me?

--Courtney
Well, if you are to be paid as a regular employee, on a W2, then the appropriate taxes will be withheld. If you are going to be paid on a 1099 (which often happens with interns) then you will have to hold back at least 15% of your wages to cover social security and medicare taxes, and then whether or not you also need to hold back money for federal and state income taxes depends on how much you will be earning for the year, and whether or not you are your parent's dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">