• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Writing off employee meals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

COH Manager

What is the name of your state? California

I run a small store, and during our busy season, I buy lunch for all of the employees, about 20 people including our seasonal help. My accountant told me that we can only claim 50% of the meal cost. I was under the impression that as long as we were providing meals for ALL employees, we could write off the entire cost of the meals.What is the name of your state?

tranquility

The tests are a facts and circumstances tests, so I hesitate to step in when the accountant who knows best those facts and circumstances has come to a 50% determination. An example of a circumstance where the 50% limitation would not apply is for meals provided on the employer's premises for the convenience of the employer.

LdiJ

The tests are a facts and circumstances tests, so I hesitate to step in when the accountant who knows best those facts and circumstances has come to a 50% determination. An example of a circumstance where the 50% limitation would not apply is for meals provided on the employer's premises for the convenience of the employer.
Tranq, you must have been responding on this one just as I was responding on the other thread....sigh. I expanded a little bit more on my answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">