• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mothers inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

royster

My grandfather just passed away and I need to know what rights my mother has to his estate. She is the only child still alive as her brother passed away several years ago. My cousin has had control of my grandfather’s affairs for a while now. We have not seen the will yet, but it was mentioned in the past that the majority of the estate would go to my two cousins and only a small portion to my mother. What is my mother entitled to? We live in Texas. Oh, and my mother was adopted if this matters. Thanks for any advise anyone can give.

ALawyer

If there was a valid Will, your mother is entitled ONLY to what she was left in the Will.

If there is no valid Will, and he left only one child (adoption is irrelevant) and the 2 children of his other (deceased) child, then she'd get half and the 2 children of the deceased child would share the other half.

HOWEVER, to the extent property he owned was held in joint tenancy with those children, they'd get that property as it does NOT pass by Will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">