• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Itemized Deductions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eddie57

State: Texas

Can the late fees and penalties on real estate taxes due be used as an itemized deduction?

Thanks,

Eddie

Last edited:

irsos

State: Texas

Can the late fees and penalties on real estate taxes due be used as an itemized deduction?

Thanks,

Eddie
Not to argue with what has been said already, but as a practical matter, if the late charges and interest are paid out of escrow and show up unitemized on your mortgage statement as "real estate taxes paid" - deduct them.

FlyingRon

Not to argue with what has been said already, but as a practical matter, if the late charges and interest are paid out of escrow and show up unitemized on your mortgage statement as "real estate taxes paid" - deduct them.
And pray you do not get audited. If you have an escrow impound and they manage to screw up and not pay the taxes on time so that there is a late penalty / interest I would:

1. Sue the mortgage company in small claims because of their failure to property handle the account.
2. Argue to release from escrow if they can't do a decent job so you can (I managed to get them to drop the impound on one mortgage after they failed to pay my insurance).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">