• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hostile work conditions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cupcake1o

I work in Tennessee for a company with appr. 12 employees. I was friends with my supervisor. After her firing, all other employees have made working conditions more diffucult each day. Work duties have been gradually taken away. The president of the company even told me my hours could be cut back cheaper than he could pay my un-employment. For a 80 hr. work week I have 24.5 hours. I was told the cut back would be rotated with employees, but to present mine are the only one effected. 2 employees have gotten overtime. What are my legal rights. Please respond ASAP

C

CaptainG

HOSTILE WORK ATMOSPHERE

I WONDERED HOW LONG OF A PERIOD HAS IT BEEN SINCE YOUR FRIEND WAS FIRED. YOU WILL NEED DOCUMENTED RECORDS, NOTES AND REPORTS OF NEGATIVE AND HOSTILE INCIDENTS OCCURRING AND BE ABLE TO SHOW IT HAS PREVAILED FOR A SUBSTANIAL PERIOD OF TIME. KNOW IT MAKES YOU MAD AND FEEL CHEATED BUT FOR IT HAVE HAPPENED ONCE OR TWICE, AND ONLY THIS, NOT ENOUGH.
ARE YOU UNIONIZED? IS THERE ANYONE YOU CAN SPEAK TO OR ASK
TO SHOW YOU THE ROTATION, HOW IT WORKS,ETC? PLUS MAYBE YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK YOUR STATE'S LABOR,HOUR,AND WAGE DIVISION FOR POSSIBLE VIOLATIONS.

B

buddy2bear

Unless you are a member of a union or have an employment contract, you basically have no rights, except if you can prove that your employer discriminated against you based on race, religion, sex, national origin, age, etc., or violated some other law.

You do have a right, however, to quit and find another job. Call your State's unemployment office and ask them if you could quit your job and collect unemployment because your work hours have been so drastically cut back that you can't survive on what you are now being paid. There are occasions, depending on State, where you can collect partial unemployment for the difference in hours you are working up to 40 hours a week while you are still working.

It looks as if the company is concerned that you might still be friends with this x-supervisor and they are assuming that you are a conduit of information which they don't like. They are trying to make you quit. You have to decide whether you want to stick it out or get on with your life. In either event, it appears that the handwriting is on the wall and you will eventually be leaving anyway. Why not leave while you can still get a neutral letter of reference?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">