• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Beneficiary documentation (NYS)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bobt

I have been notified by the executor of an estate that I was named beneficiary of one of the deceased party's bank accounts. The deceased died intestate. I was told that the amount of money in the account is "not large", but no specific amount was mentioned. I was given the account number. The bank will not discuss the matter with me at all until certain documents are obtained, including a signature guarantee, a death certificate, and possibly some tax waiver form and/or an estate appraisal. The executor appears to have done nothing for almost 3 years and I can get no information. It appears that the executor simply has no idea what to do and is reluctant to get professional help. The applicable state law is that of New York State (the executor is a Connecticut resident). My question is: what documentation am I required to submit to the bank to claim the money? and what prerequisite actions are required of the executor?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">