• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP, 18, First Offense, Basic Questions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

avavienne

What is the name of your state? NC

Pretty basic story-- I was tailgating with friends at a concert and was drinking some liquor from a small container when someone said they saw a cop car so I threw the alcohol in my purse. The cops came over and breathalyzed my friend and I (we are both 18 and blew 0.04's). There was beer near us as well, and the cop kept asking me if a cup of beer in the back seat had been mine (it was not). Initially I told him it was not, but then got worried that I would get in more trouble for hard liquor (which they never found) so I told him that I had had a cup earlier though that specific one was not mine. I was given a citation for "under the age 21 possessing a malt beverage" (G.S. 18B-302b). My questions:

a) Even though the cop never saw me with the cup from the car (because I never had it) should I just go along with that it was mine? Is this the easiest thing?

b) Should I get a lawyer? It's very hard for me to afford one but will find a way if it's in my best interest

c) Is there a difference in the consequences of a possession and consumption charge? My friend got an underage consumption citation.

d) The cop also mentioned that there was a way to clear this from my record since it was a first offense in return for a fine, community service, and an alcohol program. What are the details about this? If I represent myself, what do I say?

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">