• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? California

If I have a temporary registration for my vehicle, can I drive without inssurance?
No. There's no grace period. You need at least temporary insurance (my insurance company gives me 10 days of coverage on newly aquired cars up to the limits of my existing policy).

California requires you to have financial responsibility (insurance or bond) prior to any operation of a vehicle is either operated or parked on California roads.

moburkes

No. There's no grace period. You need at least temporary insurance (my insurance company gives me 10 days of coverage on newly aquired cars up to the limits of my existing policy).

California requires you to have financial responsibility (insurance or bond) prior to any operation of a vehicle is either operated or parked on California roads.
The bolded part is assuming that OP currently has insurance, which he does not.

I have NO IDEA how OP associates a temporary registration with NOT having to have insurance in case he causes injury in a car accident, or damage to another person's property.

sfimaggot4life

The bolded part is assuming that OP currently has insurance, which he does not.

I have NO IDEA how OP associates a temporary registration with NOT having to have insurance in case he causes injury in a car accident, or damage to another person's property.

Call me stupid or whatever but I had a few people tell me that if you just get a car and have temporary registration, you can drive without insurance. But then I had other people telling me that I cannot drive what so ever without insurance cuz it's a California state law. So thats why I got on here to double check on things.

P.S.
It's my first car so I really didn't know to much...:eek:

efflandt

The only way you would not need insurance that specifically covers that vehicle is if you already have insurance that automatically covers purchase of a vehicle (you typically have to advise your insurance company and get it covered within a limited period of time). But one way or another, you have to be covered by insurance (unless you can post bond or whatever alternate financial responsibility California allows).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">