• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rented Moped-Fender Bender-No Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncramer

State: Florida

Situation: I was riding a moped rented by my family in key west. A car pulled out, signaled and merged into my lane, then abruptly stopped and turned right into a driveway. I pulled to the right of the car and into the bike lane to avoid the accident, but caught the kickstand of the moped on the rear bumper of the car. This left a gouge in the car's bumper, but no injuries or damage to the moped. I exchanged license info with the driver of the vehicle and assumed our insurance companies would work out the details. As it turns out, my insurance has a clause excluding 2 wheeled vehicles and my father-in-law who rented the moped is unaware of any insurance they had on the moped. The other driver's insurance is now coming after me.

Quick questions:
Was I at fault (I assume yes)?

Are there any implications of no police report being filed, no pics taken?

Do I have any options other than to just pay up some exorbitant repair bill the insurance company is requesting (~$1000 for an already beat up bumper)?

ecmst12

If the car you hit merged legally, then you are at fault. If he merged improperly, then it was his fault. How long was he in the lane before he stopped? Had he left enough space to get into the lane when he merged or did he cut you off? It sounded like it was a legal merge which would put you at fault.

Since the damage is so localized it should be easy to tell if there was pre-existing damage to the bumper, and you can ask the insurance company to take any pre-existing damage into account. They should not have a problem with doing so as you are only responsible for the damage that YOU caused.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">