• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mike Scannell

We live in California and have two sons, 18 and 20, who live at home with my wife and me. We do not claim our sons as dependents on our taxes and they do not attend school. They both have their own car and car insurance policies. One of them is insured by the same company as my wife and I. The agent of this firm said that my wife and I are still financially liable/responsible for them in case of a lawsuit. That is, if one of them were at fault in a serious accident, the victim could sue my wife and I, even though my sons are both adults and have their own car insurance. Is this true?

moburkes

We live in California and have two sons, 18 and 20, who live at home with my wife and me. We do not claim our sons as dependents on our taxes and they do not attend school. They both have their own car and car insurance policies. One of them is insured by the same company as my wife and I. The agent of this firm said that my wife and I are still financially liable/responsible for them in case of a lawsuit. That is, if one of them were at fault in a serious accident, the victim could sue my wife and I, even though my sons are both adults and have their own car insurance. Is this true?
Anybody can sue anyone for anything. However, I tend to disagree with your agent.

ecmst12

Unless either of you are part owners of their cars, no you're not liable for anything accidents they cause.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">