• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Child support take my personal injury settlement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deevel79

What is the name of your state? New York

My father was involved in an accident where he was backed into by a truck while crossing the street. The insurance company settled and just released the check to the lawyer representing my father in the case. The lawyer is telling my father that the Child Support Bureau is garnishing his settlement for money owed to me when i was a child. Can this happen? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

outonbail

What is the name of your state? New York

My father was involved in an accident where he was backed into by a truck while crossing the street. The insurance company settled and just released the check to the lawyer representing my father in the case. The lawyer is telling my father that the Child Support Bureau is garnishing his settlement for money owed to me when i was a child. Can this happen? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, they can take the money owed for support, along with interest and penalties and any other expenses he was ordered to pay for, such as health insurance for you, the cost of testing to determine paternity etc.
There are many responsibilities that come along with being a father, such as feeding your children, clothing them, paying for their medical expenses, dentist bills, medications, the list is endless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">